Thursday, October 29, 2009

Again with the Murphy's Law... and other thoughts

Murphy's Law is kicking my tail this week. I got up this morning feeling great; ready to get to work and continue my giant technical implementation... and my jeep doesn't start! So as I'm standing there, in the rain, waiting for my admin assistant to come and pick me up, I couldn't help but laugh and thank God that this is happening now and not next weekend when I'm trying to get to Ronny and to the ranch! Let's hope it's nothing major and that I'll still be laughing when I have to fix it!
On a more somber note, I've been thinking alot about God's timiming and His plan. After several disappointing outcomes in my life, I've grown quite comfortable with the idea that God does have a plan for us and in His time all wonderful things will come to fruition. Keeping this close to my heart and continuing to have faith in this thought is without a doubt, the most comforting thought. It gets me through the hard times with relative ease, knowing that if God brings me to it, he'll bring me through it. The examples in my life may seem relatively unimportant to others, but, for lack of a better term, it's the same concept.
I have always believed that God made that one special man for me, who would love me no matter what, with or without make-up, all of my flaws and eccentricities and when I was 24, I met a guy who fit my perfect "checklist." We'll call him Tom. Tom had everything I had ever wanted in a man. We hit it off immediately and I just knew that this was it. Tom was a Christian, he loved to hunt and fish, he came from a great family and was a driven and hard working individual. What more could I ask for??? Well, after months of a long distance friendship, I was finally going to get to see him again. Upon our reuniting, I quickly realized that no matter what I did, or how hard I tried, Tom wasn't going to feel the same way about me and I was heart broken. I was so mad at God. Why did he allow me to find the one man who restored my faith in men in general and then take him away? Why would He just pull the carpet out from under my feet? The God I knew was not one who intentionally makes His children feel bad.
Now, I look back on that situation with such clarity. I realized that God was just preparing me. You see, before Tom, I had a vile anger and bitterness towards men in general. I had the proverbial open wounds left over from some pretty awful relationships and was in no frame of mind to enter into a full blown relationship. In my opinion at the time, every guy was out for one thing and nothing any of them said was sincere, it was all just a ploy to get you to the bedroom and I was too smart, too beautiful and too independent to fall for that kind of trash. I was convinced that, along with the sanctity of marriage, all good guys had gone by the wayside. But, what God was showing me, through Tom, was that there still were good guys out there. He renewed my belief in love and in a loving and trusting relationship again, a belief that I would have to have whenever I did finally meet "the one." When God gives you a gift, you have to be ready for it and now I know that, with Tom, I wasn't ready for it. All I could think about after that situation was that, as great as Tom was, I couldn't wait to meet the real "one" that God had made for me. If Tom wasn't it, I couldn't phathom the awesomness of the guy that was in store for me! And God was right. Tom could in no way hold a candle anywhere near Ronny in my life! I think Garth Brooks said it best... "Some of God's greatest gift are unanswered prayers."
So, as I continue my stroke of bad luck that has been raining on my parade for the last year or so, I continue to have a positive outlook; trying to keep in mind that no matter how many jobs I apply for and don't get, or how many houses I try to buy that get bought out from under me, or how many neck surgeries or family ailments... All of this is part of God's plan. There is a reason for all of it. Take it from me, who has personally seen God's plan work, what God has planned for us is so much bigger and greater than we can even imagine. If something isn't working out in our favor right now, just be patient.

Think of it like a trffic jam. Next time you're sitting in bumper to bumper traffic (turmoil), think to yourself that God may have you in that traffic to save you from an accident you would've been in if there wasn't any traffic at all.

1 comment:

  1. Love you! I'm so happy you have clarity. It's hard to get to that point, but God is Sovereign and He is so good. Sometimes, in my pits, I start to sing that old kid's song "count your blessings, count them one by one..." - it's amazing how quickly they add up!

    ReplyDelete